I don’t think I know a single person who doesn’t like travelling. I LOVE exploring new countries, their fashion, their history and most importantly their food!
We’re getting closer and closer to that point in our lives where we said we would take some time out to travel- like, PROPERLY travel- not a couple of days here or there like it’s been for the past 4 years! I mean weeks and weeks of jumping from one country to the next. We’re still a year away from doing it, but when I’ve been waiting 9 years already, this, to me is my light at the end of a very long tunnel!
I wanted to take a gap year before starting Uni, but, my mum being my typical Indian mum said ‘NO.’- she was afraid I’d fall out of the habit of studying which I think is actually quite fair. I then wanted to take a gap year after 2 years of working- this was purely to have a break and find my grounding again- this was not an ideal time as we had to concentrate on our wedding, changing jobs, moving down south and buying a house.
The time has never been ‘right’, which is why I threw a big ass tantrum and said if we don’t go travelling before we have kids then there will be no kids! HA! Yes, I have WOMB POWER! But seriously, I just want to have a good few months of QUALITY time with my favourite person experiencing the wonders of the world before our lives get taken over by children! I long for that feeling of feeling free and not worrying about the ironing, the packed lunches, the early nights before work. I want to be a beach bum before life gets REAL.
We haven’t planned exactly where we will go but just for today I’ve compiled a few of my bucketlist destinations for ya!
1) French Polynesia- I have been banging on about french polynesia, in particular Bora Bora for YEARS. Rav is sick of hearing about it. I’m convinced I must have been an island person who lived there in my previous life- I have such a hunger to learn about the their history and culture. I NEED TO GO HERE!
2) Bhutan – I cannot imagine how beautiful Paro, Thimpu and Bumthang (what an awesome name!) will be, I can’t wait to sit in a white kurta and meditate amongst the beautiful hills and inhale the clean mountain air. This resort just exudes COMPLETE. UTTER. TRANQUILITY. YES!
3) China- oh how I long to visit China! Especially after falling in love with Lisa See’s books, the history, the art, the traditions- love love love. I especially LOVE this place! OH, AND THE FOOD.
4) Galapagos Islands- isn’t this just on EVERYONE’S wishlist?!
5) Alaskan Cruise- we took a Caribbean cruise back in 2010. Everyone we met were seasoned cruisers and they all said the same thing- you must do an Alaskan Cruise! The thoughts of warm wooly jumpers, the cold breeze and a mug of hot chocolate whilst looking out at the glaciers just makes me so excited! And then you might have the opportunities to do a bit of whale watching, see some bears and puffins! It just looks amazing!
6) Mykonos- the sun reflecting of the white painted windmills with amazing views of the sea- yes please!
7) Norwegian Fjords- ideally by cruise to really get the best sights of nature’s beauty
8) Lake Louise, Canada- The views- that is all!
9) Ananda Spa, a spa and wellness retreat in India- how better to get grounded again and just exist in the moment
10) Eastern and Oriental Express train journey- what better way is there to explore Southeast Asia?
11) Switzerland- breathing in the fresh alpine air whilst sat in a hot tub with views of the snow topped mountains, or riding bikes in the mountains in the summer making time to stop off to stuff our faces with some swiss chocolate or cheese-yum!
12) Kaklauttanen Arctic Resort in Finland- how romantic is this place, especially if we’re lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights.
13) Bahamas- away from it all!
14) Safari- yes, one of my husband’s dreams. We will do this at some point- it might actually be fun when we’ve got our children. This definitely makes me want to book it now though!
15) The Maldives- we’ve gotta see some of it before it sinks!
This is just a tiny smidge of all of the places in the world I have bookmarked and saved in my travel folder! I’m pretty excited to be crossing off one of these destinations in the very near future!-and I’ve got Lisa See’s latest book to take with me! I love a bit of vacay reading!
Keep an eye out on my Instagram to see if you can guess where I will be!
We haven’t made a travel itinerary for our big trip yet- have you got any recommendations for me?